I wrote THIS POST on the 24th, but its about 2/23/11. Little did I know when I went in for that NST, I wouldn't see outside the 4 walls of that room for FOUR whole weeks. Bed rest really isn't as bad as it sounds. I slept a lot, like 12-16 hours a day. I watched some tv, but the hospital had shitty cable. I played on the internet-blogged. I got a shit ton of blood drawn. I had physical therapy two times a week for my pelvic separation. I peed in a jug more times than I care to count. Do you know how hard that it is to even get up out of bed and walk across the room, let alone worry about dumping your pee into a jug. TOUGH.
I had 3 times daily NST's, which sucked. When the babies were sleepy and cooperative I'd only have to be on the monitors 30 minutes at a time. When one or both babies were feeling feisty I'd have to be on for hours while the nurses chased them around my belly. Those straps/monitors hurt after a while. I got so big, the straps wouldn't fit comfortably on me anymore. Oh and I also had my blood sugar checked after ever meal. Thankfully, since I wasn't there for pre-term labor, they didn't check my cervix after the first day. They left that alone. Didn't want to piss off another part of my body.
Believe it or not, I got used to it all. It became a routine, necessary evils. I was in Momma Bear mode. I would have gone to the ends of the earth, done whatever it took, to get my babies here safely. People tell me that what I did (4 weeks on hospital bed rest) was incredibly selfless. Isn't that how mothers are supposed to be? Rolling the dice, taking a chance with my babies lives wasn't an option. When it comes to a mother's love, there are no limits.
I'm not saying that women forced to deliver earlier did anything wrong or didn't try hard enough. Not at all. Twin pregnancy is difficult. A lot of the time we encounter problems WAY out of our control, where early delivery is unavoidable. In my case, bed rest was able to stave off early delivery. I'm thankful I had a vigilant group of OB's that recognized a problem early enough to keep it at bay for four weeks.
One of the reasons bed rest was so tolerable, the nurses. They kept me smiling and encouraged. They let me cry and worry and just talk. They genuinely cared about me and my babies. I am forever in their debt. I still talk to some of them. It takes a special soul to be a nurse, I'm thankful I got to know so many of them.
The next 3.5 weeks would be pretty uneventful. The week of their birthday I'll probably resume "one year ago today" posts. I'll probably throw in a few more hospital bed rest pics just to keep things interesting...because hospital bed rest was so interesting ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment