8.05.2011

{hair pulling and other tales}

Fancy's new favorite thing.  Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

The last 24 hours have been mighty scary.  At work on Thursday, just before I left to come home for M's ceremony, I found a big lump in my neck.  I know, right?!?  I text M, petrified, I mean lumps don't just come out of nowhere and I have an uncle who passed away of lymphoma.  I call the MTF (military treatment facility) after hours line and get P.A. Delp.  As it turns out, I love this woman :)  Anyway, back to my story.  I tell her what's going on and she says "come see me at 7:30a tomorrow.  I grill her about possible things it could be.  She's mum on her speculations and tells me she'll see me in the am.  Great.  Now I'm even more scared than before.

I actually get some sleep because my kids slept most of the night (yay!) and wake up to meet the doom and gloom of "what if".  I hate that.  We load up the kids for the first of what would become THREE medical appointments that day and head to the MTF.  I get in quick (shocking I know) and meet this sweet little southern lady who happens to have a baby who was born 4 days after the twins.  Miss Lillian.  We talk baby and swap soothing secrets and she plays with Fancy and Coach a little bit.  Then we get down to business.  We talk symptoms and then she feels the LUMP.

I'm a basket case on a good day, this kind of stuff makes me totally nutty.  She said she didn't think it was thyroid related, that it felt like an enlarged lymph node.  Cue panic.  I try to pry some kind of idea from her as to what she thinks it could be.  She's vague and says it could be many things.  Some good, some bad.  She couldn't say for sure without more testing.  She schedules a neck u/s for 1:45p and tells me not to worry.   Right.

Coach had a second opinion appointment about his flat head/torticollis (no diagnosis) issues.  He's improving tremendously and the doc didn't think he needed pt.  Woop!  Not like I could focus much on that appointment, but I'm glad it went well.  We head home and all four of us crash for a couple hours.  When its time to head over for the u/s I'm nervous but resigned to the fact that there is nothing I can do to change things...well other than pray.  So I did, for the 10 millionth time in 24 hours.

It all wen't quick.  I got there, filled out a bajillion forms, got called back fast and was out of there in about 20 minutes.  I tested the tech to see if she'd tell me anything, but as usual, she was tight lipped.  Very nice, but tight lipped.  Dammit.  I lay there, eyes closed, heart racing, as she probed my neck.  I begged and pleaded with God pretty much the whole time.  Please let me see my children grow up.

I waited and waited and waited all afternoon, stomach in knots, brain running through every possible scenario.  I confess, I looked up the prognosis for Hodgkins Lymphoma, non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and Thyroid cancer.  What?  Don't act like you don't do the same thing.

After five and no call.  Looks like I'd have to wait til Monday.  I CAN'T wait til Monday.  I call the MTF after hours, leave a message and P.A. Delp calls me back.  She has results.  There are several fluid filled cysts on my thyroid creating a lump.  She said this was very good news and it didn't have lymph node involvement.  She said since there were cysts where they weren't supposed to be I still need to see an ENT.  A small percentage of complex cysts can be cancerous.  Typically the solid portions of it are seen via u/s.  She didn't mention whether or not they saw anything worrisome.  They want to do a fine needle aspiration (what fun) and see what kind of cyst it is and try and find out why its there. I'm praying its a run of the mill cluster of cysts and we can go on our merry way.  Please feel free to pray with me if you'd like.

So that's what my last 24 hours have been like.  Stresssssssssssful.  For being such great sports and listening to be babble, I leave you with pictures!

Waiting for Daddy to be recognized at his promotion party!

Poor M always blinks on the flash, this is the best pic we could get.  

I love this picture :)

Bathtime!

And from the blooper reel...Coach loves to stick out his tongue and Fancy just sort of fell over and isn't real happy about it.  Yes, we're using daddy as a prop. 

Have a great weekend!  

No comments:

Post a Comment