5.09.2011

Body after babies

Its no secret that pregnancy completely changes your body.  Your body swells to accommodate the precious life(lives) miraculously growing rapidly inside.  Your hips spread, your hormones surge, your skin stretches and everything changes.  All this growth can (and often does) leave behind permanent reminders of this fleeting time.  I wasn't a fan of pregnancy per say, buy I appreciated that amazing time I got to spend feeling them move inside me.  Such a special bond.

My post pregnancy body is about what I expected.  Saggy twin skin(google it, its nasty), ridiculous amounts of purple stretch marks, saggy boobs-even though I didn't breastfeed for long (sorry dad!) and my hips are still a bit wide-I'm told it could take months for them to return to normal.  I had a section, so I have a new scar.  I was on bed rest for an eternity, so I'm in horrid shape physically.  I'm thinner than I was pre-pregnancy, but thats because I had diabetes and only gained 25lbs. My tummy is flatter than it was before, but I have awful abdominal separation from being so large and in charge.

I have some pelvic floor issues from {M} being lodged so low in my pelvis for so long.  My bladder will never be the same.  I have a long way to go with my abs.  I took a 45 minute walk with Nellie dog and the double stroller the other day and I'm extremely sore.  My hair is different somehow, I can't figure out in what way though.  My skin is dryer and my eyelashes are punier (sad).  My fingernails are thicker.

I think pregnancy does some mental damage (maybe damage is the wrong word) too.  There's just no way to prepare yourself for pregnancy.  The morning sickness, the aches, the pains, the blood, the birth, etc.  I think if women knew what pregnancy was like before getting pregnant, there'd be fewer of us trying to achieve this goal!  Once you've gone through pregnancy and birth and can hold (an snuggle and kiss) the reason(s) for all your pain and hard work, its all good :)  I think thats why most women go back for "seconds" (and thirds, etc).  Its all absolutely worth it ;)  I'd do it again in a heartbeat, I plan to do it again-only next time with a singleton (Lord willing).

While I hope to someday have some augmentation and lifting and tucking, I'm ok with my new body.  I never was a bikini girl to begin with :)  My new flaws are the remnants of a beloved time when I carried the two most beautiful children this world has ever seen.  I'll forever be proud of what my body was able to accomplish-it was HARD work!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you had a fabulous Mother's Day! I'm a day late but better late than never! I can't imagine what your body went through. 2 babies! Ahh! You are amazing, woman!

    ReplyDelete