3.24.2011

*3-22-11*

BIRTHDAY!

At 11:44am  (Mtn time), our beautiful son, Michael Gage came raring into this world at a cool 4lbs 15oz 18.5in long!  Beautiful doesn't even cover it.  He looks JUST like his daddy and has a head full of dark hair!  Instantly I new what real love was.  His beautiful sister, Annabel Paige, followed at 11:45am at a hefty 5lbs 2oz 18in long.  Sassy and feisty as all get out, this little blonde stole our hearts just as quickly.  They say she looks like me :)  She has a precious halo of blonde hair, just like her daddy did when he was born.  Genetics are a quirky think!

Since both babies were considered premature, it wasn't beyond the realm of possibilities to expect them to need some breathing support.  And they did/do.  As of last night, Michael was doing well on a vent and Annabel was a rockstar on a high power nasal canula.  Today could bring good news or bad, but yesterday's roller coaster has taught me that with prematurity, expect nothing until you see it.  Right after birth, both babies were handling room air perfectly.  Around 5 hours after birth they started showing signs of respiratory distress (immature lungs), so we watched as the wonderful NICU staff got them going on their various breathing treatments.  Its hard to watch the two very reasons for my existence go through pain without M or I to be able to hold them.  We stand by their cribs and kiss them, stroke their eerily familiar arms, legs, toes and noses, we rub their perfectly round heads and we tell them endlessly how much we love them.

We've been able to hold both, depending on their level of issues.  We got to feed Michael twice the day he was born and then he went on a CPAP and is getting IV nutrition.  Annabel was worse right out of the gate, but she is improving so much now.  As of last night she was only on a high powered nasal canula.  Go baby girl go!  We knew they were early, we knew they could have breathing issues (which in the scheme of things is minor), but its still hard.  I want to be the momma I've been itching to be for the last 27 years.  Soon enough :)  As soon as they are well and can come home, I'm sure they'll rock my world in all the right ways!  As of last night, both babes are doing great and we hope to slowly ween them off of their breathing support.

Please keep our twins in your prayers.

No for some pictures!

Right before they were born.  Please ignore my ginormous pregnant, swollen face, hands and feet.

First family pic!  Daddy has Annabel and Michael is closest to my face.  I love this picture.  Can you see the love in M's eyes?  He changed forever that day.  Seeing him become a daddy was by far and away on of the most incredible experiences of my life.  He never leaves those babies sides.  He has a special way of comforting them when they need a familiar voice and the love he's got for them is indescribable.  In fact, love doesn't even begin to cover it.

Love all that rich dark hair :)
Sweet Michael.  Spitting image of daddy :)

Annabel on the CPAP.  She hated this.
Annabel off the CPAP!  Lets hope she stays off, Momma and Daddy love kissing every inch of that perfectly blonde head.  The NICU nurse put a bow in her hair last night.  She's such a diva ;)

Daddy changing Baby Boy's diaper.

Daddy loving on his sweet Baby Girl.

So there you go, the two most amazing babies in this world just made M and I more happy than words can even express.  I find myself not having the vocabulary to accurately convey my hearts words.  I feel so blessed to have found the most wonderful man in the world, who makes (as it turns out) the best daddy I've ever seen.  I feel blessed to be their Momma.  They are perfect in every way and more beautiful than I could have ever imagined.  Thanks for all your kind thoughts, prayers, wishes, etc.  We are so grateful to have amazing family and friends.  

Signing off,
The New Momma ;)  

Oh and prayers are ABSOLUTELY still needed to get them well and home safely.  We'll keep you all updated.  Thank you for your support and love!

7 comments:

  1. THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL!! Oh, Aimee - I'm so excited for you two! They are so perfectly perfect. :)

    Hang in there, hopefully the NICU will be full of more ups than downs and those babies will be home soon. I know it is hard, hang in there.

    Thinking about you and praying for the babies!

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetie they are SO precious! They are beautiful. I'm so happy for you guys. I got all teary! Congrats new momma! Lots of prayers for healthy babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are absolutely perfect! Congratulations to you and hubby!! I'll definitely be keeping everyone in my thoughts. I hope you have a quick recovery and those babies get to come home with you soon.

    Keep us update (especially with pictures!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Aimee, they are just precious! And perfect! I'm so happy for you guys! T&P's for you all for sure and if you need another NICU Momma to talk to, you know where to find me! If you guys need anything, please don't hesitate to call! ILY!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are awesome!! And I love the look on M's face in the just-born pic. :-) I hope things continue to improve. I'll be thinking of y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are perfect! Congrats Aimee! I'm so excited to read about all of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh!! This was sooo exciting to read!!!!! You're a MOMMY!!!!! So so exciting Aims! They are both just so perfectly beautiful and wonderful!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete