12.23.2010

Thoughts on Christmas Eve Eve

Its 8pm here in the Rocky Mountain state and next to me sits a sleeping husband and an *almost* sleeping pup.  The house smells like cranberry and Christmas tree and our cheerful decor lifts my spirits.  The tree is glowing, comforting and whisking me down memory lane-so many wonderful Christmases to remember.  Outside its chilly, flurries are starting to fall and our neighbor, Clark Griswold himself, has all his Christmas garb plugged in-even the "ho ho ho" he etched on his roof in red and green Christmas lights just last night.  Speaking of Clark Griswold, I'm half-ass watching Christmas Vacation.  Classic, right?!  Most people are travelling or already to their destinations.  I'm envious.  I wish we were home.  I wish we could be with our family.  This year, I'm too pregnant to travel and since we went home last year and its such a hassle to travel, we agreed to spend Christmas here at "home" this year.

This time last year we were starting our trek to St Louis...through a honest to goodness blizzard.  Sometime around 2am in the great state of Kansas-with our benadryl'ed doggie snoozing under blankets in the back seat-we discovered the highway was actually a sheet of ice.  We discovered this exactly when our car began to spin wildly out of control.  We landed in a ditch, on the side of I-70, stuck. The Sheriff found us and called a wrecker.  Several hours later, we were pulled to the safety of the dark lonely highway.  We literally inched the rest of the way to St Louis.

I'm looking forward to Christmas Eve church tomorrow night.  Everyone here, just like us-those who can't get home for Christmas this year-will be there.  It will be nice to commiserate and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ with people who "get it".  I hope, no matter where you are or who you're spending Christmas with, you have a beautiful Christmas :)  After all, its what you make of it!

I'm headed up to read more Sookie Stackhouse smut, but first, I'm going to snap some sweet Christmas pictures of my snoring husband and his snoring doggie side-kick :)  I love when they snuggle!

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet blog post :) Wish you could be home too, but hoping you enjoy your time together in your own traditions and comfy home for Christmas! Love you sweet friend, and wishing you and M a very happy Merry Christmas as we remember and celebrate the birth of our Savior!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you guys have a great Christmas together with your little family! Next year will be SO exciting for you two! I can't wait! I know you're super excited! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete