11.18.2012

{Twins on a budget}

Babies are expensive.  TWO babies (or more) can be daunting for the budget crunching family.  I spent many nights laying awake worrying about how we'd be able to afford double EVERYTHING.  When they got here we figured it out very quickly.  The short answer is to stick to your budget.  There are a lot of resources available to you.

Gifting-  When people hear a baby is on the way, they tend to be very generous.  Everyone loves to celebrate a new life.  Enjoy it!  What's that phrase?  Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  Take. it.  Take hand me downs.  Take shower gifts.  Take things you wouldn't ordinarily think you need from well meaning been-there-done-that mothers.  If you don't use it, donate it.  I'm so thankful for all the gifts we received when our babies were born.  Our family and friends had them clothed until about 4 months old! 

Hand-me-downs-  Cribs, car seats (that haven't been recalled or expired), pack n plays, swings, clothes, etc are really helpful if they have been well loved and buying new isn't an option.  Even for recalled cribs there are kits that you can get to fix the drop side.  We didn't get a lot of hand me downs, but I know a lot of mulitples families are grateful for them. 

Consignment-  Once I discovered consigning I went nuts!  Thanks to our friends and families we had all our "big ticket" items.  At all my favorite consignments I've seen every possible baby item you could ever hope to need/want.  I've seen everything from pristine condition to well worn and the prices reflect that.  Consignment can fit every budget.  I was able to dress my children in Janie & Jack, boutique outfits and other brands I wouldn't have been able afford brand new.  I've even seen rarities like triple jogging strollers, BOB dualies, some of the more expensive wraps and cloth diapers. 

Shop sales, clearance and discount websites-  I've had a lot of luck shopping sales and clearance.  I don't buy clothes/items seasons in advance because that has burned me before.  Babies don't necessarily grow steadily.  In Coach's case, he skips sizes all together (12-18m).  Old Navy, Carters, Osh Kosh, Gymboree, Crazy8, JC Penney, and occassionally Belk, Baby Gap and some boutiques.  Lately I've discovered zulily.com.  I guess I should clarify.  I've always lurked, but I just recently started buying.  I live in the middle of nowhere.  Online shopping has become my "thing".  And its a dangerous thing!  Babies R Us has a multiple baby discount.  Ask for it!  In fact, I've heard many places do.  Its just not widely publicized.  Websites like Albeebaby.com and strollermama.com are good places to look for the best prices on double/triple strollers.  Sometimes Babies R Us will have good sales for holidays, etc. 

Co-ops-  Co-ops exist everywhere and for everything imaginable.  If you've got a little bit of time to wait for your item, co-op is the way to go.  For those unfamiliar, the idea behind a co-op is to place a mass order (via several small orders) from a company to attain a company discount.  Usually this is arranged through a company and headed by someone organized and familiar with co-ops (obviously).  I've only bought diapers via co-op, but I paid 1/5 of what I would have paid buying them outright.  I've seen co-ops for toys, clothes, shoes, diapers, amber teething necklaces, etc. 

Craigslist-  If you've got the time to wait it out, you can usually find what you are looking for on Craigslist.  Especially if you live near a large city or are willing to drive a little bit to pick up.  Generally you'll find many of the same item so you can bargain a bit and get the best product for the best price. 

Resale sites-  These days most people are part of some kind of online group with people who share their interests.  I'm part of a Mothers of Multiples group (several of them) and we have resale pages.  In each group there is a variety of ages of  twins, triplets and quads.  When the older families are done using items they post them for sale on the resale page.  The interested party pays via paypal and the seller ships.  Generally, these items are from people you "know" and trust.  The purchase price is always very affordable. 

Cloth diapering-  You know my thoughts on this :)  Diapers are expensive, especially when you are diapering more than one baby. 

Breast feeding-  Its best for baby(ies).  Its FREE!  Don't give up!  I wasn't able to breastfeed much past 6-8 weeks, but if I was able to go back and live that time period again I think I'd be able to stick it out.  I had that whole first time mom "I'll try it" mentality going.  Now, after a year and a half of research, I know what I was doing wrong and while I don't know if I would have been successful, I know I would have tried for longer.  I'm armed with a lot more knowledge and a breastfeeding group for our next baby.  Nope, not pg or trying. 

WICFormula can be VERY expensive.  When you're feeding two (or more) babies, its outrageous.   We didn't qualify for WIC when I was working, but I know MANY people utilize this wonderful help.  They offer healthy foods, hospital grade pumps for rent, formula, breastfeeding consultants and much more to pregnant women, infants and children.  If you find yourself in a position where you need help affording forumula or healthy foods, it would be worth it to find out if you qualify for WIC in your state.   

Insurance-  If you have preemies or babies with severe reflux, you may qualify for assistance from your insurance company to buy special formulas. 

Multiples discounts-  when we left the hospital we got a form for the mothers of multiples club through Similac.  I took the form and when pumping/breastfeeding didn't work out I filled it out and sent it back to Similac.  Within a week I received several cases of formula.  I can't tell you how much this helped out.  Many companies have multiples discounts, you just have to ask :) 

Buying store brand-  I've found that if you buy store brand for certain things, its much cheaper.  We loved Target diapers (before cloth), Up & Up (Target) formula (when they were a little older), etc. 

I hope (if anyone runs across this) this helps!  I felt lost when I found out I was having twins.  I didn't know where to turn or where to find help.  I started getting involved with multiples groups when my babies were about a year old.  One of the best things I've ever done.  As a parent of multiples you have different struggles and needs.  Bringing two (or more) babies home from the hosital is scary!  If you have premature babies who need NICU time, its nice to have a support system.  Find a multiples group, even if its just online and get involved.  As questions of the btdt MoM's.  Multiples are daunting, but such a blessing.  Go into parenthood informed (as every new parent should)!

No comments:

Post a Comment