8.26.2012

{An ode to -almost- 10 years}

The daddy and I will celebrate TEN years together and FIVE years married this November 3.  We've been together since 2002.  Wowza.  If you'd have told me that on 11/3/02 I would have laughed in your face.  I mean, who ends up with their college sweetheart, anyway?  I am 29.  I've been with the daddy for a quarter of my life.  I can't really remember a time where he wasn't a significant part of my life.

“No long-term marriage is made easily, and there have been times when I've been so angry or so hurt that I thought my love would never recover. And then, in the midst of near despair, something has happened beneath the surface. A bright little flashing fish of hope has flicked silver fins and the water is bright and suddenly I am returned to a state of love again — till next time. I've learned that there will always be a next time, and that I will submerge in darkness and misery, but that I won't stay submerged. And each time something has been learned under the waters; something has been gained; and a new kind of love has grown. The best I can ask for is that this love, which has been built on countless failures, will continue to grow. I can say no more than that this is mystery, and gift, and that somehow or other, through grace, our failures can be redeemed and blessed.”
― Madeleine L'Engle


Not that we have what's considered a "long term marriage" yet, but I love this.  There is an ugly underbelly in relationships, but a great relationship will learn from each trial and be strengthened from it.  There have been days where I've been ready to throw in the towel.  I'm sure the same can be said for him.  There are also days that you never want to end.  In between those, you live life in all its messy glory. 

Line 1 L-R: Christmas 2007, The Daddy's BMT graduation June 2008, Life in TX Summer 2008
Line 2 L-R:  Silver Dollar Saloon, Leadville Dec 2009 (google it and go there), Summer 2010, Summer 2010
Line 3 L-R:  BMT grad June 2008, Flight home from MO November 2010 (18w pg with the twins), Our first weekend in CO at RMNP December 2008



Our life is far from perfect.  We fight, but we love, too.  We've grown up together.  We know each other in and out.  We made two incredible kids, there must be something wonderful about both of us, right?  I think so.  Ten years, 1/3 of our lives, insane.  I'm happy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment