5.09.2012

{I saw my life flash before my eyes}

When this nasty mother fucker walked across my living room floor.

Thankfully, everyone had gone to bed, but me.  I don't even want to think about what would have happened if the babies were up.  I was picking up the pit when I saw this massive thing scurry out from under a box.  A box I had just gotten out of the garage to pack old baby clothes in.  This was over 12 hours ago and my skin is still crawling.  ICK.  

I've been obsessively learning about this hideous thing since I killed it (and threw its carcass into the garbage disposal and turned it on...twice).  It is a Woodlouse Spider, very common in Colorado.  They eat, you guessed it, woodlice.  Funny, there's no trees or fallen trees in a 15 mile radius.  This isn't the first one I've seen.  When we first moved in I found on on the wall in my laundry room.  That one also died several painful deaths.  

They bite, but the bite/venom is supposed to have little effect on humans.  Similar to any itchy, harmless insect bite.  If I saw that thing crawling on me I'd probably faint.  It was pretty big, as spiders go.  I'd say I'm even more glad to leave CO for this reason, but NC is known for its bugs and dampness (where all things creepy and crawly thrive).  

One of our neighbors found a rattlesnake under their trashcan this morning.  Summer has officially come to Colorado!  

And now, in an effort to try and bleach my brain of this repulsive creature, pictures of my sweets.


No comments:

Post a Comment