3.29.2012

{reading}

When the babies sleep, I read.  Lately, thanks to my mom gifting us a Kindle for Christmas (!), I've gotten quite a few books under my belt.  I've mentioned the Hunger Games Trilogy (which I've gotten M to start reading-he loves it!), Divergent (impatiently awaiting Insurgent May 1), Shades of Grey and the awful Delirium.  I've also been reading historical books.  Mainly WWII, specifically Auschwitz survivors stories.

Rena's Promise, about a woman and her sister sent to Auschwitz on the first transport.  They survived the war and over three years in the Nazi death camp, remarkably.  Its a great book, well written, LOTS of punctuation, etc errors which bugged me, but didn't take away from the story.  Seeing the horrors of Auschwitz through a prisoner's eyes has to be the most heart wrenching thing. What they endured, what they saw.  I can't believe people survived this hell.  Anyway, its a pretty quick read and only $1.99 on Kindle.

Auschwitz, about a (Jewish) Dr who was made Josef Mengele's personal experimental help.  Upon his arrival, he was identified as a Dr with forensic pathologist background.  He was given his own lab and forced to perform autopsy's on his own people.  One particularly heart-wrenching story he tells is about the only girl known to have survived the gas chambers.  He brought her back to life only to have an SS shoot her moments later.  So much horror to live through.  Its also quick read and $1.99 on Kindle.

I'm starting to re-read Pride & Prejudice, Wizard of Oz, Little Women and Phantom of the Opera.  All slower reads, but really as great as I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment