10.08.2011

{New digs}

Its time for new, updated, NICE furniture.  We've had the same couch/love seat set for about 5 years.  We bought those at Nebraska Furniture Mart (<<<amazing!) on sale.  Faux leather.  Ya, I said faux leather.  The plastic-y surface started to break down about a year ago.  Our solution?  Slap a cheap Walmart couch cover on both couches.  Great, right?  Wrong-o.

Our T.V. was bought for us about 6 years ago.  Its a dinosaur in terms of today's technology.  It works, why replace it?  Because its old as father time.  The console the dino-T.V. sits in is a hand me down from my aunt and uncle.  Its pottery barn, but its also old and falling apart.  See a theme here?

Coffee table is a solid wood mission style off of Craigslist.  It needs refinishing, but we got it for $40, so I'm all for keeping it and reviving it.  Kitchen table.  Also a hand me down.  Chairs have been replaced, but the table is your general, classic round number.  I'm hoping to refinish this also and eventually put it in the "office/craft room".

Here's the thing.  We're military.  We move a lot (well, in theory).  We rarely stay somewhere long enough where its feasible to paint.  I mean, we just have to paint it back, why do it?  Obviously, we rent b/c there's no guarantee how long we'll be any given place.  In this economic climate buying a house only to leave and have to try and sell it in 2 years just doesn't work.  Having nice things, only to have them scratched/scuffed/broken in the frequent moves?  Can you sense the wishful thinking here?! (we're DYING to PCS).  I can't justify a $3000 couch that may or may not make it through a move unscathed.

Nursery-this is one of my biggest regrets.  I went on some form of bedrest at 27w.  I was carrying TWINS, I had to take it much easier than the average pregnant lady.  We decided to start the nursery at...you guessed it 26w.  Essentially, we got the cribs (not the cribs I wanted, but the cribs we could afford-shopping for two is pricey) up and that's it.  I went on hospital bed rest at 32w and we stayed at the hospital until almost 3 weeks after they were born.

Here's another thing, when you find out TWO babies have taken up residence in your ute, savings becomes a priority.  Saving for college, saving for essentials, saving for anything BUT dream cribs and non-essential nursery decor.  In the years prior we saved for this and that, but never for furniture.  It's time to make that a priority...right after we pay off our cars and other misc debt :)  Until then I'll make my second hand, cheap, old furniture work for us.  With the help of Hobby Lobby ;)

Speaking of Hobby Lobby?  Who's excited for CHRISTMAS?!?!  Too soon?  I don't think so.

P.S.  Its currently snowing.  This is the one time I'll be excited about snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment