7.04.2011

[mother of the year]

First of all, happy (almost) Independence Day from the most beautiful children in the world!

So my dad and step mom are/were (leaving tomorrow am :() in town for the long weekend.  We made plans to go to Manitou Springs-near Colorado Springs.  Catching their drift?  Lots of springs in the area ;).  Anyway, back to my story.  So I was getting the babies ready and we went down stairs.  I laid them on the couch, not near the edge, but not all the way back either-since they can't roll yet...or so I thought.  I'm making bottles for the next meal and they're both "talking" to me while I sing to them.  M walks in from crossfit and we start talking, all the sudden I hear a thud.  My poor sweet baby girl rolled off the couch.  I ran over to her (I was very close, in the same room) and picked her up and let her scream.  I checked her out.  Rug burn on the nose :(  She landed on her face.  She cried, I cried, then we cried some more.  I felt (and still feel) like shit.  How could I let that happen?  I didn't even turn around, I just took my eyes off them for a second.  ONE second.

She calmed down and I watched her like a hawk all day.  She seems fine today.  The fall was less than 2 ft and it was on carpet, but STILL.  I feel horrid.  Even thinking about it now makes my stomach wretch.  Lesson learned.

Sadly, that's not the end of the tale.  We load up and leave for Manitou.  Its 85-90 degrees in Denver, so I don't think socks or a fleece blanket are necessary.  We get to Manitou and its a torrential downpour complete with hail.  The temp plummets about 20 degrees and here I am with two three month olds in shorts and t-shirts with whimpy light summer blankets.  Fabulouso.  We duck into a glass blowing shop (which caught fire minutes after we left) to keep out of the storm.  Once the storm passes we hit up all the tourist shops looking for a reasonable priced fleece to drape over them.  FINALLY we are the proud owners of a Colorado style fleece blanket, complete with a big bear on it.  Thanks Dad and Nova!  Baby crisis averted and we carry on.  It was a great night!

Today my lovely friend said goodbye to her momma.  My heart is completely broken for her and all who loved that sweet lady.  Words are lacking and even if the right one came along, it wouldn't be enough to convey just how sorry I am.  They're faith is unfailing, even now.  What an inspiration.  My love goes out to you E.

Have a safe and happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment