Here we are on birthday eve, the last night of my 27th year. I feel the need to blog about something profound, but I'm at a loss...I know, ME, I'm at a loss for words. Strange! I could blog about babies (endlessly). That sounds like a good topic, no?! As we speak, {A} has contorted herself into some weird pose on my chest/lap and {M} is sleeping in his swing, snoring. As I look at my daughter who loves to wiggle and snuggle in until she's perfectly comfortable and my son who can sleep wherever for hours on end (or until his tummy wakes him up screaming), I can't help but think back on what a great year #27 was and pray that #28 is even better.
Two months after I turned 27 I found out there was a new someone (later to find out two someone's) joining our family. 08/09/10 was the date. I was feeling "off", anxious and wasn't expecting a period for 2 days. So naturally, when a woman feels off, anxious and isn't yet "late"-I went an bought a pg test on my lunch break. Which I took 2 hours early. I was sure it was impossible to know if I was pg that early, but much to my complete and utter SHOCK, there they were. Two perfect pink lines. The test line MUCH darker than the control line. I'm ashamed to admit that this test is on our refrigerator being held in place by a picture of my beloved Grandma Berg. Yes I realize you pee on a pg test and its pretty gross that its on my fridge, but that lady would have gotten the biggest kick out of these babies and its my way of including her in all the excitement. She passed in May 09.
Holy SHIT! Pregnant. I had always planned such creative ways to tell M that he was going to be a daddy. The first pregnancy (ectopic) I ran down the stairs screaming "do you see a second line?" He did. Sadly, that story had a sad ending. This time, I texted him a picture of the positive test. I still have that pic in my phone. I TEXTED him a pic to tell him the BIG news. Poor guy. He deserved a better announcement than that-a phone call at the very least, but alas, that's how it happened-a text. He promptly texts back "What does this mean?" I forgot most men can't read pregnancy tests :) I called him, shaking, and told him that it was a very positive test and that we were pregnant. I don't remember anything else about that day.
The year progressed much like any year would expecting twins. Lots of excitement, uncertainty and unknowns. We tried to live a normal life as I grew and the reality that not one but TWO babies were coming, slowly set in. I got the most joy at the appointments when we got to see the babies on ultrasound. He lit up, so proud. He made me excited when I was lost in a world of high risk, pre-term, gestational diabetes, etc.
Twenty seven was a good year. I wouldn't change a thing. It was one of the hardest years yet, but definitely the best so far. My babies will turn three months old on my 28th birthday. We share 22, you see. I can't wait to share my 28th year and beyond with these kids...and their daddy and whoever else comes along, of course. They are my light. My life and my loves. Yes, we're hoping for more. Happy with these guys if that's all the Lord has in store for us, but hoping we're blessed again someday. Someday at least 2 years down the road :)
No pictures today. On the days I work I find myself not having much time for picture taking. Truth be told, I take enough pictures, one or two days off isn't the end of the world. You guys probably enjoy the break ;) No worries, baby gawking to resume tomorrow. I have to have a birthday picture with my brand new THREE MONTH OLDS. Where does the time go? I'm sure my parents are asking the same question as they think back to 28 years ago.
It flies. Without warning, its gone. That's why I take so many pictures and blog constantly. I want to remember every sweet moment. I want to document this time, before their memories are able to retain. For them. Before I know it I'll be celebrating their 28th birthday, visiting them who knows where-wherever they choose to make their lives. I'll have these pictures to look back on with love, to share with them and their children. A time when they needed me. When my touch, look, voice was all they needed in this world. A time when every day was a new discovery. A smile, a giggle, a coo, a screech, etc. Every day is something new and precious and I don't intend on forgetting even one second of it.
Time is fleeting, but what we put down in permanence is how we can assure we remember the sweetness of this life. This blog helps me document everything. The pictures I take forever capture the perfect little moments just as we experienced them. Sometimes, looking back on my hundreds of albums saved in my computer, I can almost smell what it was like to be back in that moment. Its a mixture of happy and sad. Happy that the moment is still so fresh and sad that the moment has passed. That's life though, right? A long string of pictures set into motion. We can't go back, we can only reminisce.
Enough of the deep. I'm off to enjoy my slumbering sweeties and contemplate life on the last night of year 27. My hubby is on some top secret birthday mission that I am to know nothing about. The suspense is killing me! I will let him have his surprise, it means the world to him. We haven't done much for birthdays in the last couple years, so he's having such a great time making my birthday special. I appreciate how he's working so hard to make a great day for me. I have 4.5 months to concoct a plan for his birthday now!
I hope you are enjoying this looooong first day of summer. I always loved being a summer baby. Colorado summers make me even more fond of that fact :) Have a great night!
No comments:
Post a Comment