10.12.2012

{Beauty at Bragg}


A military post in the south may not be the most seemingly attractive place to the average person.  To me, Fort Bragg doesn't seem all that attractive.  Its BIG.  Two hundred and fifty square miles, big.  The gate closest to us is right on a flight line.  I am in awe every time I'm driving the loop around the hangar and see an aircraft land.  Its incredible. Large, functional buildings crowd most of the area.  Not much to see, until you really start to look.

I had an appointment on post today that I was early for.  What?  Me, early?  I was shocked too.  Anyway, we got to post early and I started driving around looking for the illusive second Starbucks.   (which I never found).  I took a wrong turn onto the old part of post (by the HQ).  The giant, beautifully maintained homes of high ranking leaders lined one side of the street and historic buildings lined the other.  Even the Red Cross and Post Office buildings were charming.  

Large, old trees (oak?) bow over the avenues in silent salute and on a fall day like today, it was breathtaking.  The leaves were just starting to change and the crisp, dried leaf smell was intoxicating.  After an oppressively hot southern summer, I've been anxiously waiting for fall to reach us.  Today, it arrived!  I turned the heat on and cracked the windows so the babies could really enjoy their first taste of fall.  

I took a detour when I realized where I was and went to see Iron Mike.  Right as I turned down the avenue leading to the statue, Airborne Ranger Infantry by Kristy Lee Cook came on the radio.  Ironic.  Here I was in the "Home of the Airborne", hearing this song, really seeing the beauty and history of Bragg for the first time.  

Laughing friends out for a morning stroll, a proud young Private showing his parents the post for the first time, Momma's and their babies walking to school, couples walking hand in hand, soldiers going to and fro, our little slice of the world is more than just a big bad military installation.  Its home to hero's and the people who love them.  

When you look, you can find beauty in the most unexpected places.




No comments:

Post a Comment