9.01.2012

{Tantrums in Target}

We went to target  with a friend today.  Things were good until Fancy decided she wanted out of the stroller.  I fought tooth and nail to try and keep her in and occupied, but she wasn't biting anything I put on the line.  I let her out of the stroller and in turn, brother bear wants out too.  In twin world things have to be perfectly equal.  I had to let him run amuk out too. 

I was flustered (naturally), but they were listening and playing in the toy aisle. When we decided to move on and actually shop, shit got real.  I put Fancy in the stroller while my friend chased Coach up the next aisle.  Fancy immediately started squirming to get out of my grasp.  I got her buckled in and she started screaming.  Not just normal baby/toddler annoyed screams.  This was a piercing, horrifying wail.  Everybody in the vicinity stopped dead in their tracks to see who was abusing their child. 

This can be normal for her.  She wants things her way and if that doesn't happen, watch out.  Even when she does start this nonsense, usually its just a couple seconds.  A minute or two tops.  Not this time.  NOT this time.  She screamed and kicked and thrashed and screamed some more for close to an hour.  Why didn't I leave Target?  I had stuff to get AND I guess I sort of kept thinking it wouldn't last much longer.  I was in shock!  I think Sponge Bob said it best...
We tried everything to console her.  You know what worked?  Letting her get out and walk around.  As soon as she saw me going for the straps to unbuckle her she let an evil giggle eek out.  Night and day.  The problem?  Well there are several, but the obvious issues here-1)  Coach wanted out too 2)  We'd somehow have to get her back in to get to the car.  Fug. 

Round two.  We attempt to get them back into the stroller.  She loses her shit again.  A brightly colored comb helped for mere seconds before she chucked it down the aisle.  She was so tired from the previous tantrum that a bag of goldfish (the crackers) and raisins fiiinally calmed her down.  We checked out and as I was loading her into the carseat she looked at me and blew me a kiss.  This child knows exactly what she's doing.

She fought sleep (by singing and fussing) the entire way home while big brother snoozed like a champ.  She was pooped when we got home.  I got her out of the car and she put her little chunky arms around my neck, laid her head on my shoulder and said "awww, momma" and patted my back.  God love her.  I needed that. 

Before the meltdown(s), I let them pick out a new toy.  They picked these. 

Just finished dinner, please ignore my embarassingly messy table. 
See the stitch in the blue monkey's face between his eyes?  Yeah, that REALLy annoys me.  So much so that I might exchange him. 
For now though, they're being well loved.  They've replaced their normal white teddy's.  I'd say they're a hit!  I think it might be time to introduce pillows.  They wad their blankets up and sleep on them. 

On to Sunday we go!  I think we'll sit tomorrow out and just try to get back on our schedule.  Unwind.  Chill.  SLEEP.  Make sure that tantrum streak never ever EVER reappears.  Is that even possible with toddlers?  Oh the joys of parenthood :)

No comments:

Post a Comment