6.17.2012

{Gypsies, tramps and thieves}

Well, I don't know about the thieves part. 

I have a new obsession - My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding.  I grew up in an area periodically occupied by gypsies.  The queen of the gypsies died and was buried in my home town.  Every year there is some sort of processional to honor her.  Its rumored that every time a member of this particular gypsy tribe (???) passes, they return the body to my home town to bury them near their queen.  Her king passed in the late 70's and was buried near her.  There was said to be a cursed black purse on her grave for a number of years.  Its been gone for decades. 

All that said, I'm pretty interested in gypsy culture.  I'm intrigued by their customs.  The women dress like tramps, yet are said to have extremely high morals.  They are expected to be virgins on their wedding day AND many of them are said to receive their first kiss on their wedding day.  Many marry very young (between 16 and 20 y/o) and are said to have a very high mortality rate compared to the rest of society. 

This show follows Romanichal Gypsies, Irish Travellers and a group called the Gorgers (sp?) who apparently pride themselves on their loose women.  Its all about the tackiest, skimpiest, most bedazzled clothing and the biggest, most over the top celebrations.  They featured a baptism and the baby's pacifier had hundreds of swarovski crystals.  The baby's shoes were decked with well over a thousand crystals.  

 Drama central.  So worth catching an episode if you can.  The women love to shake their apparently chaste hips and the men love to fight and drink.  What is it about trash that sucks us in? 

We braved the area around Bragg today.  Not as scary as everyone claims.  I don't plan on venturing that way solo, but not an area I felt scared.  Besides, this mall is 20 miles from my house and Raleigh is 50.  No brainer.  Pier One, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Marshalls and Tar-Jay are right there as well.  We can't live without those, now can we?  Our stroller gets here this week!  We are also getting a Kindle Fire also.  I figure its only right, given the sad demise of my 3G. 

Heading to the beach again this weekend.  We're staying the weekend this time so the babies can get in the water and play.  Two hours isn't that bad, but to go up and back in the same day is a haul.  I've mentioned we live in the middle of nowhere, right?  Ya.  I feel like we live in the car.  It takes forever to get anywhere.  I just love our house and neighborhood though, so its worth it. 

Babbling, happy *almost* Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment