3.14.2012

{Don't read this}

Delirium

It wasn't good.  OK, it could have been good.  It took getting through 50% of the book for it even to get remotely interesting.  I'm all for a slow start, but this was agony.  Its as if the author spends too much time explaining every teeny boring detail and forgets that the story is supposed to be interesting.  Lena is living in Portland, Maine with her Aunt, Uncle and cousins in a semi-dystopian society.  Basically, this version of dystopia is exactly like current day USA except they have a procedure all 18 year olds go through so they don't fall in love.  They're afraid of love, to a ridiculous degree.  If you can love, you can hate.  They basically erase that passion to love, hate, rebel, etc.

I think if she's gotten the story going MUCH sooner I'd have gotten interested and it might have fared better.  As it was, I was so annoyed with how slow the story was moving along, by the time I got to the meat of the story I was over it.  Its also VERY predictable, which I didn't like.  You can tell the author is very gifted.  Her writing is beautiful.  It just took too long to get to the point.  Maybe the next book is faster?

Its supposed to be a trilogy or maybe even 4 books.  I'm REALLY torn on whether I want to read Pandemonium.  Delirium just got interesting as the book was abruptly closing (hated that too) and I'm mildly interested to see what happens.  It took a HUGE turn at the very end.  I'm reading Little Women, Pride & Prejudice and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz before I return back to the depressing worlds of the future.  Plus, Insurgent doesn't come out for another month and a half.  I'm PUMPED!

1 comment:

  1. DON'T read Pandemonium. It'll just drive you even crazier. The ending is THE WORST.

    When She Woke is a good one, you should read that too!

    ReplyDelete