Last night marked visit numero DOS to the ER. I was in the tub, reading some Sookie and I hear screaming all the way up the stairs. Fancy screeches pretty much all day, so I didn't think much of it. I decided to wrap up my bath anyway to see if M needed some help.
That's when the screeching turned to hysterical crying. I throw on a towel (forgetting to drain the tub) and run downstairs. M is feeding both babies and Fancy is fussy and throwing a HUGE fit. I make my way over to them so I can grab her to feed her when she starts choking. Yes, choking. She's making strange gagging/burping noises and gasping for air, while throwing up. I frantically start to get her into position to do infant cpr (we know this thanks to the nicu) when she starts to settle herself down and take breaths.
By this time I'm full on panicked. I sit her upright on my lap and watch her for several minutes while she grunts and groans trying and failing to take a deep breath. Her color is fine and she never went limp, thankfully. She is frustrated that she can't take a big breath and she's crying intermittently.
We call the pediatrician's after hours line. The nurse called us back very quickly and asked us a bunch of questions. Fancy's nose is stuffy and she's a tad wheezy so they want to see her in the ER. Its now 10:30p. We dress the babies and head out. By the time Coach and Fancy are in their car seats, they're already gabbing and giggling.
It appears Fancy cleared it on her own, but since we called and they told us to go get checked out, we have to go. We get to the ER and sign her in, all the while SURE she didn't need to be seen since she was so much better than she had been just 30 min ago.
They take her vitals and listen to her lungs-all perfect. I tell the triage nurse that I'm not sure we even need to be seen at all, that we were told to come by the after hours nurse. Everyone is nice and reassuring. We feel ridiculous with a happy, chatty, obviously healthy baby in the ER, but as they kept telling us-Its better to be safe than sorry.
The Doc comes in and she's fabulous. We talk about the incident and she asks a ton of irrelevant questions (do we have pets, do I work, etc). I think they were feeling for an abusive situation. I get it, when you bring an infant to the ER, one of the first thoughts is parental neglegence. She's satisfied by our answers and she tells us what to look out for.
Around midnight, we all crash into the front door and bee-line for our bed. And here's the kicker-the babies slept ALL NIGHT! It was like deja vu. They used to sttn until about 2 months ago when they started waking TWICE for feedings. I'll tell ya, even if it was a fluke, it was glorious! Momma and Daddy needed that rest.
So there you have it, the very ridiculous and uneventful tale of our second ER trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment