Yikes. Yesterday I got the call that I failed my three hour glucose test :(. I'm the newest member of the dreaded GD mommas-to-be. After a good long cry, M picked me up, hugged me and re-assured me that we can manage this as a team and it won't be a problem. As always, he's right, so I got it together and we looked for GD friendly recipes and made a GD friendly grocery list. I caught a good one ladies ;)
I was pretty upset, but I know that getting upset about something I can't change is the last thing my babies need right now. I'm the sort of gal that panics, pulls herself together, puts on her game face and goes to take on the problem. Game face is ON and we've got this week's diabetes friendly menu planned out. Its a small sort of accomplishment, but when your body is failing you, its nice to feel accomplished in helping it do its job.
My grandmother had GD when she was pregnant with my dad. This is a very large contributing factor as to why I have it. The other BIG reason is, the twin factor. Since my twins are fraternal, they have two placenta's producing hormones that are confusing my pancreas into not producing enough insulin to break down the sugars in my blood properly. So, I have GD. When properly controlled, it shouldn't cause longterm, major problems. I have to record my blood sugar before I eat and then two hours after every meal. This means, a finger prick at least 4 times a day. Fun!
If I can keep it controlled via diabetes friendly recipes and menu's, we're all good. If not, I'll have to go on insulin. Most cases of GD disappear after giving birth. Some linger, most of the cases that linger are the ones who have to be put on insulin. I also have an elevated risk of having type 2 diabetes later in life. This freaks me out, but it is what it is. With a good diet and exercise I should be able to keep that at bay...hopefully.
Again I ask for your prayers and good vibes. I knew the complications of twin pregnancy and I hoped I would be one of the lucky ones who got to the end with no issues. I did so well until 27 weeks and then all hades broke loose! I'm doing great though and I'm confident that my cervix and my diabetes are going to be well managed and not be a problem :) Think HAPPY thoughts!!! What matters is that my babies get here healthy and after 34 weeks. Thats the objective and with my game face on, I'll achieve it ;)
I hope everyone enjoyed the snow! We didn't get much, but its -15 degrees (high) here today with a wind chill of -35. Its bitterly cold! Stay warm and keep those furry friends INSIDE. Have a fab week!
Way to take charge! There are so many great websites out there to find free and fabulous recipes!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry doll, but I love your attitude! These babies are so lucky to have a positive mommy like you!
ReplyDelete