1.25.2011

Bedrest Blues

The verdict was handed down yesterday after a pre-term labor scare that landed me in labor and delivery for 5 hours.  I'm on a week of "practice" bedrest and they'll check my cervix Friday to see if there are any changes.  We're not sure yet if bedrest will be permanent or just temporary.  The OB said, depending on how my cervix and I handle bedrest, I *might* get to do a little getting up here and there.  For now its laying, in my bed, on my side, for 24 hours a day...except to go to the bathroom.

I had a lot of contractions while being monitored yesterday and my OB said my cervix was soft, but long.  No one seems to know if thats good or bad.  They keep telling me that labor is unpredictable.  I did have a negative FFN (fetal fibronectin test), which tests the cervix to see if certain proteins (present when a woman is about to give birth) are there.  They weren't there, so the likelihood of me going into full blown labor in the next two weeks is very low.  I hope.  They say they can't give any result definitively, but at this point, its not likely.  Ok.  I guess if thats all they'll give me, I'll take it.

The l&d nurses are fabulous.  They made this scary experience as great as it could be.  They were all so sweet and reassuring.  They even gave us babies first hats!  They have a volunteer who makes knit hats for all the newborns and she gave us pink and blue itty bitty hats.  So sweet :)  They told me that  they see a lot of twin moms in all the time.  Twin pregnancy is no walk in the park (I could have told you that!) and complications are common, especially at this point.  My uterus is measuring 40 (ish) weeks and I have between 5.5 and 6.5 lbs of baby in me.  My poor worn out body thinks its time to give birth.  NOT YET BODY!

They did a bio-physical profile on the twins and so we got to watch them on ultrasound for about 2 hours.  They got a perfect score!  They were hiccuping and sucking their thumbs.  They were putting on quite the show for everyone.  At one point, Little Boy was kicking the monitors they had strapped to me and we watched on u/s as he delivered one blow after the other trying to get the monitors off him.  He succeeded.

I was strapped with a toco-monitor, to monitor contractions and two fetal doppler monitors to monitor their heartrates and movement.  I was loaded down!  The babies did great and are healthy and perfect.  Now we just need to buy at least 4-6 more weeks of them INSIDE so we can bring them into this world healthy.

If you're the praying type, can you pray for M, me and our sweet little ones?  If you're not the praying type, we accept any and all good thoughts :)  We appreciate all our readers and hope you have a wonderful week!

5 comments:

  1. Oy! I don't know a lot about being pregnant, but that sounds like quite a wild ride! I hope you don't get stuck on bedrest. I hear that is AWFUL! But if you are, I hope you have lots of good books and snacks to keep you company! I can't wait for your babies to get here! It will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly momma! You're doing great! Bedrest sucks, but hang in there!! I can't believe how fast this pregnancy is flying by!!!! I'm so glad that you have such great l&d nurses there! I love you!!!! Keep me updated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should tell M to issue babies his first order as a father. TO STAY PUT! He should give them an LOC if they even think about coming out any sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. I guess you could say I'm thinking good thoughts for your cervix! Like, to harden back up? Yes. Hopefully all goes well and bedrest will only be for a practice week. In the meantime, if you get bored, feel free to write that upcoming blog you previously alluded to regarding the things no one tells you about pregnancy. You have my full attention. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear kids,

    Stay where you are. Mom will tell you when it's time to come out.

    ReplyDelete